Sport and fitness are integral components of a healthy lifestyle and promote physical, mental and social wellbeing.
Some Fast Facts that Inspire What We Do
- Physical inactivity is estimated to cause 22% of heart disease and 10-16% of colon cancer, breast cancer and diabetes.
- An estimated 56 million deaths annually are attributed to the non-communicable diseases of a sedentary lifestyle.
- In WA 41% of adults are insufficiently active for good health and less than half of our school aged children undertake the recommended physical activity guidelines.
- One in five Australians experience mental illness – physical exercise has been proven to have beneficial effects for an individual’s mental health
- Sport builds networks, friendship and identity and is a key driver of community life. Research from 2006 suggests that physical activity can be used to strengthen cultural assets within indigenous communities.
- The direct health care cost of the contribution of physical inactivity inAustraliaequates to $1.5 billion per year.
To allow all Australians to have access to the benefits of healthy choices through recycled sports equipment.
To engage underserviced Australian communities through unique health education, fitness programs and recycled sports equipment.
F – Fit and healthy communities
I – Inspirations and education
T – Teamwork and leadership
S – Sustainability and recycling
Beneficiary (who we exist for)
Underserviced Australian communities including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, CALD communities and chronic disease sufferers.
Fair Game aims to become a key driver for healthy community change across Australia bycommitting to deliver high quality and sustainable programs in established project areas whilst maintaining controlled expansion through strong partnerships. Fair Game works in disadvantaged communities, including those with indigenous Australians, migrants and refugees, low socio-economic status Australians, mental health sufferers and chronic disease sufferers. Fair Game has the following objectives:
- To ensure geographical isolation is no barrier to the delivery and access of healthy lifestyle choices;
- To provide a medium for physical activity to help reduce rates of lifestyle-related physical and mental illness;
- To deliver and build capacity through needs based community driven programs;
- To recycle sports equipment through a cost effective and environmentally sustainable method ;
- To increase awareness of the physical, mental and social benefits of fitness by engaging local businesses and stakeholders;
- To partner with other likeminded organisations;
- To build the capacity and sustainability of target communities through training, leadership and skills development; and
- To build cultural awareness andunderstanding and foster relationship between young Australians of diverse backgrounds.
Fair Game’s Delivery Model to achieve its objectives is made up of:
RECYCLING: Donation of recycled sports equipment enabling the health benefits of exercise
INSPIRATION: Unique sport, fitness and wellness programs to get communities active
EDUCATION: Building the capacity of communities to make healthy choices through training and leadership development.
PARTNERSHIPS: Working with like-minded organisations to achieve common goals and increase efficiency.